Sarawak Timber Association (STA)
Sarawak Timber Association (STA) was formed in August 1971 in Sibu, Sarawak. Currently, there are about 600 Members. Members are companies which are involved in the timber trade and industry. Collectively, STA Members employ some 100,000 workers in Sarawak.
Members elected Council Members every two years to ensure fair and democratic representation of all the nine categories as listed below. Each STA Member, irrespective of size, has one vote.
The nine categories of membership are:
- Log Marketing
- Hill Logging
- Swamp Logging
- Forest Plantation
- Panel Products
- Timber Products Marketing
- Furniture & Other Woodworking
Each category has its own Committee to look after its interests. The Committees have their own Chairmen and Office Bearers. The Committees operate independently under the STA Council.
Objectives of STA
- To promote, foster and enhance the relationship between all Members of the Association.
- To promote and uphold as prudently as possible the interests and well being of all Members of the Association.
- To Promote, ascertain and protect the continuous well being of the timber trade and industry in the State of Sarawak.
- To invest and/or engage, with the approval of the general meeting, in any business which may be beneficial to the Association.
- To purchase, take on lease, exchange, hire or acquire, any movable and immovable property rights privileges which will benefit the Association for the achievement of its objects.
The Secretariat executes the daily functions of STA. Services provided fall mainly in these categories
- assisting Members with their day-to day operation involving State Agencies.
- monitoring world markets for tropical timber products.
- Providing information and facts for public understanding of the timber trade and industry.
- Coordinating foreign investors, trade delegations and various missions to Sarawak.
- Representing Sarawak's interests in various national and international fora.
The STA Secretariat is located on the Eleventh Floor of Wisma STA in Kuching. Fifteen full time employees take care of the day to day work.
11 Floor, Wisma STA
26 Jalan Datuk Abang Abdul Rahim
Tel: 60 (82) 332222
Fax: 60 (82) 487888, 487999
For more, please visit the Sarawak Timber Association website: